Prostitution in Portland...

I had an experience this week that was truly God inspired. First of all I have to say that this week in itself was a huge blessing. I had a town-hall meeting on Monday, Kenosis on Tuesday, a rain garden meeting and D'CAF on Wednesday, training for work on Thursday, Night Strike on Friday, and visiting with long time friends and family on Saturday. So, yes it was busy but I really thrive on exciting weeks like this one.

Monday I had only 3 sweet kindergartners in the afternoon and we had the most wonderful musical parade around the room. I couldn't help but watch and thank the Lord for the innocence of little girls. They just seemed so precious in that moment.

I later went to a meeting about the long time problem of prostitution on 82nd st. I learned that in Portland there are close to zero social services for women who wish to get out of prostitution. These men and women who have been victimized by life through pimps, mothers, molesting relatives, abuse, and insecurities have no way out. My heart broke as I heard many beg for the officers to "clean up the streets" and few ask, "how can we get social services for these humans being treated as objects?"

After the meeting and feeling so heavy hearted about it I walked back to the car and loe and behold was verbally treated as a prostitute for walking to the car alone. I had three men slow down and continually say degrading and embarrassing things to me out their car window.

On Friday, when speaking with a friend about homelessness, I learned that nearly 65% of the 150 beds available for the 3,000 homeless are for men only. Leaving nearly nothing for women on the streets.

It was the journey of this entire day/week that God used to open my eyes. The journey of many of the prostitutes began like the little Kindergarten girls I was watching earlier. The way I felt on the side of the road, wishing my husband was with me, is only a small glimpse of how these women feel daily. I have seen the effects of prostitution on children because I had kids whose mothers were prostitutes in Kansas City. Knowing about the limited amount of beds available for women is another cause of prostitution in Portland. All I know is that our society continues to feed this filth and the victimization of women and I am praying for God to reveal to me what to do with this information.

Sorry this was such a long blog...thanks for reading!
God bless you!
Men, keep loving your wives, mothers, and sisters like they deserve (most of you I know do this already--especially my hubby!)
Women, keep covered and don't allow the filth in this society to dictate your life, self-esteem, and body (I think we all struggle with this on some level).
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "Prostitution in Portland..."

  1. Diane says:
    September 22, 2008 at 7:37 AM

    Thanks for sharing. We have to share these types of experiences and encounters. We don't feel so alone that way. I am thankful you were able to have both experiences in one week. Our God is at work redeeming and recreating and loving and we can see this most clearly through the joy of children.

Copyright 2009 Tea and Sweatpants...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates