"Thee Screamin' Hippy..."

This is the name of someone I met at Night Strike on Friday night. When he told us his name he explained that he has about 7 aliases and this was his most common one. When he said this the motions that came with the name ended with swinging hips like a hula dancer. Night Strike has become a way for God to put me in my place...weekly! I have had the chance to take on different roles there; handing out clothing, hostessing, and taking night strike out from under the bridge and to other parts of Portland. I think the most important thing that I have learned is how God uses simple conversations to teach me things. Time happens to be the most valuable thing I can offer and I still don't give enough of it. I heard a leader of Night Strike explain what makes it unique. Portland is know nation-wide for being one of the most giving cities. We give money, food, blankets, clothes, medicine, and probably even drugs. However, people have become so accustom to giving they've forgotten why they give. The most valuable thing we have to offer is Love. Love is often shown not just through how much we give but how we give. Night strike is time we set aside to give in a very unique and loving way. We sit on the sticky floor next to people, we listen to people ramble about the things they are passionate about, and we keep an open heart to what others might have to offer us. Giving in Love is also about receiving in Love. So I challenge you, family and friends, give and receive in love this week even for just an extra hour. It just might change your life, much like it is doing in mine.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to ""Thee Screamin' Hippy...""

  1. nick mucci says:
    August 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM

    i hope i get to meet this guy too!

Copyright 2009 Tea and Sweatpants...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates