No title, it's a long one...

I don't even know where to begin with this post. I am actually part of an incredible experience that breaks all cultural boundaries.

There's this child, we'll call her Tasaline, she is 12. Nick first met her volunteering in her class at Rosa Parks. They spent lots of time together as she had a knack for getting into trouble. So, she was sent out of the room to study math with Mr. Mucci. One saturday two years ago I met Tasaline and she was so kind and polite. I couldn't believe she was one to cause any trouble.

The following summer B Town kids began and I saw Tasaline show up with her 3 younger siblings every Saturday. Again, a sweet girl whom I enjoyed being around.

A year ago in September I began to show up at her home to supply the family with clothing and cleaning supplies though our Manna Truck ministry. For almost 9 months my relationship with her mother (we'll call her Amina) was void of emotion and discussion. Her language is very limited (they've only been in the states 5 years) and withholding emotion is a cultural expectation.

In June we saw Amina with the 3 youngest kids and Tasaline was nowhere to be found. Through Amina's broken English, the help of her 6 year old daughter, and reading hand motions we found out Tasaline was in the hospital.

A few weeks ago though teary eyes I talked, empathized, and tried to communicate my sorrow for Amina and her experience through this as a mother. She asked me to visit Tasaline with her the next day in the hospital.

The cultural barriers that came down in that moment alone was amazing. For her to show emotion, share that with me, and invite me to accompany her to visit her daughter was HUGE!

We pulled up to the hospital and I realized in that moment that her daughter was in the mental ward. I had a new understanding of the whole situation. Tasaline was thrilled to see me and to know she was missed. I simply sat and witnessed the love shared between Amina and Tasline and saw how much they missed each other.

Since that moment Tasline's been transfered to a transitional mental institution, her mother has invited me along several visits, and Tasline is yearning to come home.

Just yesterday another cultural boundary was crossed, Amina hugged me when she saw me! It is not custom for Somali to touch another unless they are very good friends or family so I've withheld my temptations to greet with hugs and handshakes but yesterday she initiated the hug and I embraced her with a silent thankful prayer for how the Holy Spirit is moving.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

2 Response to "No title, it's a long one..."

  1. Heather W. says:
    August 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM

    Yesterday when we saw her, I saw her offer the hug and was so excited because I didn't think that had happened before!

  2. Lauren says:
    August 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM

    That is so awesome, Mandy! It's always a blessing to read posts about the work that you and Nick are doing. Praise God!

Copyright 2009 Tea and Sweatpants...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates